17.7.10

A Rare Mid-week Letter

13 Jul 10

Mom and Dad,

Hoorah!  I’m writing this letter on Tuesday night.  We got 25 minutes of evening routine to relax a bit and write.  So far this week we’ve been doing good, or better at least.  Today was a full but easy day.  We had study time after morning chow, then a class on Sexual Assault and Rape (who knew these were bad things?).  The Navy is really strict about this, and pretty much everything, which I love.  It keeps good sailors in and weeds out the bad seeds.  Then after that we had Chief talk with us about good decision making.  Sounds like I shouldn’t get married and buy a BMW out of boot camp.  Then was lunch, and after that a long time in the computer lab taking an online course on the 9mm pistol.   I’m obviously not too familiar with firearms, but I’ve been rocking the practice Weapons Turnover Inspections, and I’m eager to learn all I can about the firearms I could potentially use, for my own and others safety. 

Of course I always love learning new things.  We’re also studying naval history now too which is old news to a salty history nerd like me.  We had a great PT session today led by Chief.  He played us some of his favorite metal, which I approved.  In house PT is the only time we hear music.

Yesterday we had “classifications”, which we thought was going to be a chance to learn more about our jobs.  Turns out it was boring, all they did was review our contracts with us for about 5 seconds.  However I did get some important info.  I will not be allowed to take leave until after “A” school, so aside from weekend liberty after graduation I’ll stay on base forever.  I also learned that because I’m an HMDA (dental corpsman), my A school is 20 weeks (for the extra dental training), rather than the 14 weeks a regular corpsman gets.  Not a big deal.  I’ll get more training and have a better chance of making petty officer than the regular HMs.  They also said I can still go to train with the marines as an HMDA, which is a good option.  I’m not worried about what specialty the Navy ultimately assigns me, I’m just eager to serve as best I can.  And a station in Japan wouldn’t be so bad either!

Tonight I have the 00-02 watch, which means I’m attempting to sleep from 2100-2315 and then from 0200-0445.  Two big naps and then defending my shipmates from the terrorist ninjas in between.  I hope my division can keep up our good streak but we’ll see!

Love, Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment