27.12.10

home for the holidays

So it's been a while since my last post. A lot has happened since then, so lets get the official record up to speed.

Talked with the detailer on the phone to confirm my orders, so it looks pretty certain that I'm going to Japan and the GW for my first duty station. Still amazed I'm getting the opportunity of a lifetime.

Secured dental test 2 with a perfect score, obviously happy with that, and a great way to kick off the holiday exodus.

Fly into National Airport on Dec 17, touching down around 10:30. This was almost 6 hours sooner than I planned to be home, thanks to the good folks at United Airlines (and my sharp dress blues). Since then I have...
Been home for the first time in over 6 months,
Attended a December birthday party in Arlington, my first chance to see a lot of my friends again,
Visited Baltimore for more time with friends, eaten an Elk burger and tasted Natty Bo again,
Returned to DC, saw a comedy show with the family and dined in Gallery Place,
Spent Christmas with my Uncle's family in Virginia.

It's great to be back, but so surreal as well. Walking around the house, part of me feels like I never left, and part of me feels like I'm out of place here. Not that I feel like I don't belong here, there's nothing but great feelings, but rather that I now belong out there. It's not just the house, its this whole life in general. For the last 6 months I've been in a somewhat isolated training environment, a whole new lifestyle. Now I'm suddenly back to the old one, so its quite the clash of new training vs. years of the way things used to be. Nothing serious, no bad feelings, just odd at times. I think I'm starting to learn that this is the great dichotomy of life, when you love two things that can't exist at the same time. While I'm at home, I miss the Navy. While I'm in the Navy, I miss home. This I imagine will be unavoidable the rest of my time in the service. The important thing is that I am thoroughly enjoying each while I have the time.

In summary, I'm grateful to be home, and love seeing my friends and family again. I'm going to miss it all when the time comes to return, but I wouldn't trade being in the Navy for anything in the world right now. Here's to a great end to 2010, and see you in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment